10 April 2006

Gringo Minority


FURTHER CONVERSATIONS WITH MY SISTER ...

I'm glad our kids don't have that whole cultural bias thing...maybe it is a good idea to grow up "everything and nothing"

Interesting phenomenon though, being "everything and nothing", sort of a generic brown person.

That's what it felt like to me.

Funny how folks want you to proclaim your allegiance to one race

Yeah true

Some Blacks preach to me that I should have racial pride, I tell them I have plenty. Then I remind them that I have an Asian/Pacific Islander facet, too. On the other side, Filipinos get pissed at me when they discover I don't understand Tagolog.

I suppose we should be proud of the human race then....

Dad likes to claim the Native American part

I know

Too funny


That's a tiny fraction though

He has no real clue about Native culture

Teeny tiny

Our culture is middle-class, urban America which for us was Brady Bunch re-runs and tuna on white bread. A Filipino/American friend & I came up with a name for us: GRINGO MINORITY because we’re Brown Americans, raised by our non-white ethnic parents with no distinctive culture or language beside mainstream-American English.

I don't think dad likes the whole Black part too cause he used to say " we have very little Black…very little" whenever I asked what nationality we were

It’s weird, I know! He and his wife are not exactly Black Panthers

I love the Black part! Kick-ass food & culture...


…and emphasized the Irish (or Scottish depending on when he was telling it) and the Native American

The folks in Dad’s hometown kept telling me when I visited that we're English!!

oy vey!

…and our aunt, Dad's sister, sat in front of me & my husband when we visited and told us she couldn't help it if she acted White since it was in her blood.

How funny!

I think the floor dented from my husband’s jaw hitting it and his tongue was bleeding from biting it. I may have I strained an eyebrow muscle from the abrupt raising of it.

Sometime’s people's perspective's are
hilarious


(OF COURSE, NOT WHEN THEY'RE CHASING AFTER YOU....)

No comments: